Chicago, Illinois Credit Report Lawyers
Your credit report is critical to many parts of your life. A low credit score can limit your options in buying a home, renting an apartment, purchasing a vehicle and even your employment opportunities. Inaccurate data on your credit report can be resolved but you may require assistance from an attorney to dispute your credit report. Schad, Diamond & Shedden is not a credit repair organization. But our attorneys can offer guidance with respect to bringing claims under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
If you have been harmed by a credit repair company, Schad, Diamond & Shedden may be able to represent you in bringing claims under the federal Credit Repair Organizations Act, which is a consumer protection law.
Is there inaccurate information on your credit report that you need to dispute? Call our firm at 312-985-0207 to schedule a free initial consultation. You can also e-mail us and we will contact you.
Helping consumers understand credit report law
Our attorneys can protect your rights as a consumer, ensure the information on your credit report is accurate and seek damages on your behalf. Your credit score can get you many places in life―and hold you back just as easily. Schad, Diamond & Shedden, P.C. can help you.
Inaccuracies in your credit report can arise from the following:
- Identity theft
- Mistakes made by credit reporting agencies - such as combining information on people with similar names or Social Security numbers
- Unresolved disputes
- Victimization by means of consumer fraud
The federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) states that credit reporting agencies have the responsibility to do (among other actions) the following:
- Provide consumers with information regarding credit reports, including one free credit report per year
- Inform consumers if negative information is reinstated into the consumer's report
- Retain negative information only as long as allowed by law
The Credit Repair Organizations Act (CROA) was established to protect consumers from misleading and deceptive and other unfair conduct of credit repair companies. Credit repair organizations cannot do, among other actions, the following:
- Lie to creditors about your credit history
- Change your identity
- Ask you to pay for their services before you receive the services
Do you have a potential claim against a credit repair company? Contact Schad, Diamond & Shedden, P.C. today to schedule a free initial consultation.