Debt Collection Complaints
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) protects consumers from deceptive, misleading and unfair conduct of debt collectors. Schad, Diamond & Shedden, P.C. investigates consumer complaints regarding debt collectors and illegal debt collection activities. If you are being harassed by a debt collector or sued by a debt collector, you have rights under the FDCPA. Our lawyers can help you understand these rights.
Are you being harassed by a debt collector or have other complaints about a debt collector? Call our firm at 312-985-0207 to schedule a free initial consultation with an attorney. You can also e-mail our firm and we will contact you.
Complaints about a debt collector? Let an attorney help you.
The FDCPA was enacted in 1996 with the purpose to eliminate abusive debt collection practices, ensure that debt collectors who do not use abusive debt collection tactics are not competitively disadvantaged and to promote consistent state action to protect consumers against debt collection abuses. At Schad, Diamond & Shedden, P.C., we use our knowledge of the FDCPA to ensure your rights are fully protected.
Our attorneys understand the stress and discomfort that can result from harassing creditors. If you have debt collection complaints, we can discuss your options.
What are debt collectors prohibited from doing?
Debt collections harassment laws state that debt collectors cannot do the following:
- Debt collectors cannot harass you or a third party in any way. For example, they cannot use threats or obscene language.
- Debt collectors cannot use false or misleading statements. For example, they cannot misrepresent the amount of your debt or imply you have committed a crime.
- Debt collectors cannot say that you will be arrested if you do not pay your debt.
- Debt collectors cannot use unfair practices. For example, they cannot take or threaten to take your property unless it is legal to do so.
- Click here for a more detailed list of prohibited activities under the FDCPA.
If you have complaints about a debt collector, contact Schad, Diamond & Shedden, P.C. to schedule a free initial consultation.